Two deadly earthquakes, followed by thousands of aftershocks, have claimed 54,540 lives and injured 117,485 across southern Turkey and northern Syria. Lives and livelihoods have been destroyed.
Shock and devastation have rippled throughout the region, causing unimaginable suffering to already vulnerable, war-torn populations. Heavy rainfall has also caused flooding, which has affected Internally Displaced Persons currently living in tents and informal housing. Following the immediate recovery of casualties and provision of food, medicines, and water, the focus now is recovery and supporting people who have been made homeless.
Current Needs in Turkey and Syria
In Turkey and Syria, 3.5 million people remain displaced in tents and other informal housing with limited access to basic services. This shelter is already deteriorating due to flooding, further earthquake tremors, and increasingly warm weather. After assessing needs through our local partner, the International Blue Crescent, we are prioritising shelter and water, sanitation and hygiene supplies.
World Jewish Relief has supported an estimated 8,500 people in Turkey and Syria so far. In the first month, we delivered the following:
- In the Kilis and Sanliurfa regions of Turkey, 1,000 participants were provided with blankets, 300 of whom were also fed for 10 days.
- In the Kirikhan region of Turkey, we supported a community centre which provided food, medicine, water, hygiene and sanitation items to 1,000 participants for one month.
- In Syria, 500 boxes containing food and non-food items were given to households of up to five people, reaching 2,500 participants. You can read our full one-month update here.
Since our One-Month Update
- Following the successful delivery of 22 prefabricated shelters in Kirikhan two months ago, we are supplying an additional 20 shelters, housing families of five, to provide safe shelter for 210 people.
- Our hygiene kits reached a total of 4,100 participants in Adiyaman, Turkey. These kits included supplies of sanitary pads, soap, underwear sets, shampoo, washing detergent and dental care.
Looking forward, we plan to begin a livelihood project in the Hatay region of southern Turkey which will help people earn an income and increase their independence, dignity, and agency.
You can donate to our Turkey-Syria Earthquake appeal and provide life-saving support: