The death toll from Typhoon Phanfone in the Philippines has now risen to over 50 with more than 80,000 people displaced and 305,000 homes damaged or destroyed. With our trusted local partner CDRC (whom we have been working with since 2013), we are co-ordinating an urgent emergency response. We are not planning a full appeal at this stage, but you can donate via our Disaster Fund appeal page to help us provide rapid and efficient emergency responses as soon as disaster strikes.
Typhoon Phanfone made landfall on Tuesday 24 December, causing severe floods and destroying homes in several provinces.
The typhoon led to the evacuation of more than 80,000 people and stranded thousands over the holiday period.
Officials said some of the dead were hit by trees, while others were electrocuted or drowned.
"The likelihood is present that the casualty count will still increase. We're hoping against it," disaster agency spokesman Mark Timbal told news agency AFP.
Typhoon Phanfone, known locally as Typhoon Ursula, continued to make its way through many islands of central Philippines on 25 December.
It reached winds of 200kmph (125 miles per hour), leaving thousands stranded as they tried to make their way home for the holidays.
Western parts of Visayas, the central of the three main island groups that make up the Philippines, were among the worst affected. In lloilo province, at least 13 people died.
We have been providing emergency food relief as a priority, ensuring 1500 vulnerable families have enough to survive for at least one week.
We are also providing food and shelter kits to victims of Typhoon Kamuri (aka Tisoy) which hit earlier in the month.
Watch video of our initial food distrubition with messages of thanks and happy new year wishes from villagers: